With over 400 mentoring agencies in the state of Illinois, LINK Unlimited Scholars is among the 7% awarded the Gold Star designation, as evaluated by MENTOR Illinois. Meaning we’ve met or exceeded best practices across six noted program areas, as established by MENTOR | The National Mentoring Partnership, in cooperation with the nation’s foremost authorities on mentoring.
We believe the unique relationship formed between mentor and scholar is pivotal to our scholar’s growth and future success. That’s why we seek out civic-minded professionals across a wide range of industries, from education and business to finance and medicine, who all share one goal: to transform the lives of high-potential African American students in Chicago. Are you ready to join us?
As a mentor, you’ll commit to:
- Maintain consistent contact with your scholar to nurture the relationship and expose them to life-enriching activities and opportunities. It is expected that you contact your scholar twice a month, via phone, email, text, or Skype contacts, and arrange in-person engagements at least four times each year.
- Attend three annual LINK events (Class Session, College Fair and End of Year Celebration) that occur between September – June.
- A mutually agreed upon annual financial investment for four consecutive years to help support LINK’s programming expenses for our scholars.
- Grow Personally
The benefits of mentorship include:
- Greater self-confidence
- A lifelong friendship
- Expanded network
- Increased patience
- Feeling of effectiveness
- Increased cultural sensitivity
- Fulfillment of personal values
- Better handling of challenging situations