For those individuals bold enough to change the trajectory of their future, the LINK Unlimited Scholars Class of 2025 application will launch on October 1, 2020.
If you’re interested in becoming a LINK Scholar, carefully read the information below to better understand our admissions process and expectations. If you have any questions that are not answered in the FAQ section below, we encourage you to attend one of our information sessions (see “Events” for more info) or email our admissions team at BeAScholar@linkunlimited.org.
We wish you the best of luck and hope to see you in our next group of scholars!
Students and their families apply to LINK Unlimited Scholars in the fall of 8th grade year. The application will launch here on October 1, 2020 for the Class of 2025. The entire application, including recommendations, must be completed online. Students and families may attend one of two virtual information sessions: September 29th or October 26th. For more information and to RSVP for either session, click “Events” at the top of the page.
The application deadline for the Class of 2025 is December 14th at 11:59pm CST.
Applications are reviewed by the LINK Unlimited Scholars team throughout December to determine which applicants will move forward to the interview phase. Virtual interview invitations are extended to families via email in early January.
Virtual interviews will take place throughout January. Interviews are by invitation-only.
Acceptance letters will be sent via email and US Mail on February 14, 2020. Applicants will have until the end of February to provisionally accept or decline the invitation to join the LINK Unlimited Scholars Class of 2025.
- Final program enrollment will be granted when the following criteria have been met:
- Signed LINK Scholar-Family Agreement submitted to LINK
- Acceptance and enrollment at a LINK high school partner
- Attend the mandatory New Scholar-Family Orientation in mid-April
- Successful completion of the mandatory 6-week Summer Learning Program during the summer of 2021
Good luck, applicants!
- Student must be a high-potential, African American 8th grade student with a demonstrated financial need. For more clarity on how financial need is determined, see the FAQ section below.
- Student must reside in the Chicagoland area and plan to attend a LINK Unlimited Scholars partner school or other CPS Selective Enrollment High School.
- Competitive candidates are confident communicators who are highly motivated, focused, involved in school and community, want mentoring, and are college-bound. We seek candidates with strong academic records.
- Student must exhibit good moral character, integrity, and strong values.
- LINK is a family-centered college prep and career readiness program that requires students and parents to exhibit commitment, responsibility, and a willingness to actively participate in the organizational programming. Attendance is critically important.
We ask our LINK Scholars and parents to be mindful that LINK Unlimited Scholars is a college-prep and career-readiness organization that requires Scholars to participate fully in programs and activities.
We expect LINK Scholars to:
- Study at least 2 hours every night
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or above
- Participate in at least 2 extracurricular activities each school year (at least 1 activity must be a school-related activity)
- Contact mentor at least two times a month
- Attend all required activities as designated by LINK
- Communicate in a timely and professional manner
- Remain enrolled at a LINK Unlimited Scholars partner school for the duration of high school
We expect LINK Parents to:
- Apply for financial aid from the high school partner annually, if applicable
- Pay the family contribution to the high school annually, if applicable
- Submit updated financial information to LINK annually
- Ensure scholar fulfills all requirements of the program
- Monitor your child’s academic progress and communicate with the school often
- Attend all required meetings, including annual parent orientation
- Volunteer as needed at LINK and the high school
- Assist in the development and health of the Scholar/mentor bond
- Communicate in a timely manner
Three letters of recommendation are required from the applicant’s 7th grade English Language Arts Teacher, 7th grade Math Teacher, and School Administrator. Applicants will submit the email address of each recommender in their application. Each recommender will receive an email from LINK with the form for them to complete and submit online.