Position: College Access Program Manager
Reports to: Director of Educational Programs
LINK Unlimited Scholars (LINK) is a 50-year-old Chicago-based institution working to change the trajectory of high-potential African American youth, through unique programming and mentorship opportunities in the classroom and beyond. With educational support, mentors and financial subsidies, LINK provides the necessary backing to help close the social gap and ensure economic stability for our scholars.
We set out to foster relationships between individuals hailing from different racial and class backgrounds–personally connecting them to better foster meaningful, socioeconomic change. Over time and through our programming, we have challenged our scholars academically and personally–pushing them beyond their predetermined limits to reach higher levels of excellence. We continue to innovate our programming by extending our focus beyond the classroom, to incorporate connections that ultimately will help close social gaps. The organization’s approach provides a rigorous support system built to develop and hone the academic and interpersonal skills necessary for admission to top tier colleges and universities – and ultimately, college graduation followed by a lifetime of success.
If education is the core of LINK Unlimited Scholars, then the scholar/mentor relationship is at the heart of what we do. We are the only scholarship organization in the city of Chicago that provides individual, one-on-one mentoring for each of its scholars for four years. This unique aspect of our program provides the bridge that connects students’ dreams for the future to the reality of achieving that future. The exposure, understanding, and guidance that the scholar/mentor relationship creates are vital to the success of each LINK scholar.
LINK Unlimited scholars is seeking a College Access Program Manager. Qualified candidates will be highly motivated with a desire to empower high achieving, under-served high school scholars and possess an understanding of issues that African American students face along the path to college completion. Working as an integral member of the Educational Program Team, the College Access Program Manager will provide support, guidance, and encouragement in the development of the Scholars’ academic success, personal growth emotional development, leadership, and service to others. This role will oversee a set of college access responsibilities, participating in the planning and execution of workshops, and contributing to the tracking of Scholar data. The College Access Program Manager will provide high-quality personalized attention to our scholars and help educate families about how they can help their scholar succeed. This position is responsible for maintaining data, operations, and/or relationships related to the work of the Program Team. Applicants must also have a willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends.
The Position – Specific Functions and Activities
The selected applicant will advance the following duties:
• Coordinate and deliver college readiness and academic enrichment program for caseload of high school scholars (roughly 80 students)
• Provide case management and referral services for families as needed
• Coordinate and deliver college readiness and academic enrichment program for caseload of high school scholars
• Co-Lead organization and management of peer mentoring program amongst sophomore and junior Peer Mentors
• Provide academic counseling and coordinate academic support for scholars when needed
• Coordinate and oversee standardized test preparation program
PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION
• Coordinate and facilitate scholar programming including: class retreats, college visits, career exploration, college readiness/professional development workshops
• Assist with planning and oversight for Summer Learning Program
• Track and report on scholar attendance and program feedback
• Establish system to track scholar issues
• Participate in scholar recruitment events, application/interview process and selection.
Talents, Skills & Experience Required
TALENTS NECESSARY IN THIS POSITION
• A passion for the mission and vision of LINK Unlimited Scholars • Detail oriented • Strong communication skills • An appreciation of, respect for, and ability to work with the diverse community served by the organization • Good natured and comfortable around people • Flexible with a sense of humor • Capacity for multi-tasking • Capacity for interacting and collaborating in a dynamic and interdepartmental setting • Even-tempered in times of stress
SKILLS NECESSARY IN THIS POSITION
• Demonstrated ability to establish respectful and trusting relationships with adolescents and families from a variety of backgrounds including the demonstration of cultural fluency ●Strong proficiency in working with multiple projects simultaneously • Skilled at taking initiative, problem solving, creative thinking and working independently ● Strong Interpersonal, organizational, communication and writing skills • Knowledge of advancement and development principles • Highly organized and task-driven • Organizational and process understandings • Ability to collaborate with internal and external constituents • High degree of technological literacy
EXPERIENCE NECESSARY IN THIS POSITION
• At least 2 years of experience in working with low-income, first-generation and/or African American students and families
• Familiarity with landscape of education in Chicago. Experience with Chicago Public School students is a plus
• Energetic • Motivational • Listens Well • Able to Make Connections and Analyze Data • Forward-thinking
• Flexible • Diplomatic • Respectful • Ethical, Discreet and Trustworthy • Independent • Team Player
At least a Bachelor’s degree
Please submit your resume and cover letter (with salary expectations) to:
Include: “College Access Program Manager” in the subject